Wednesdays 10 Oct – 12 Dec
7.00pm to 9.30pm
Acquire skills you will use throughout your career. Learn to be real, to be versatile, to be a great listener and to be skilled in auditions. The Intermediate Workshop will make you the director’s best friend.
For an actor a scene must do more than further the plot - it must explore the relationship between the characters. Richard has a gift for making this process clear and simple. His direction gives me confidence to trust my own intuition, thus allowing the character room to breathe...
What will be covered in this course?
1) Build real and effective listening skills
Listening is a core foundation skill that many actors find hard to manage. The key is to actually listen. Often the default choice for an actor is to ‘act’ listening – that never works. The focus of this workshop is on building real listening skills
2) Explore effective Meisner techniques to refine your listening
This adaptation of Meisner process is enormously effective at building listening skills. These challenging exercise develop a number of real skills that you will use in many different ways throughout your career.
3) Gain practical skills to find your place in a scene
Clearly understanding and controlling your character’s place in a scene is an essential skill for an actor. Those choices are crucial to delivering the unfolding story. These are the skills that drive the story forward and engage the audience. Nowhere else are these techniques taught so effectively. These are the skills that have you standing out in the audition room.
4) Be able to make big changes to character and story outcomes
How to change the nature of the character and balance that against the drama of the story is a skill that is not commonly taught. You will learn to make powerful choices that are dramatically engaging. With practice these skills are easy to manage. You will have a powerful professional presence in front of a Casting Director.
5) Learn to trust your actor’s impulses
Impulses are an instinctive part of daily interactions. But many actors take their importance for granted. The key to being real and believable is understanding what drives the impulses in a conversation. That understanding enables the actor to control a path to realistic but highly dramatic performances.
6) Test your skills with a professional casting director
The final exercise in this workshop is to test your burgeoning skills in front of a professional Casting Director
THIS IS FOR YOU IF...
- Casting Directors say that you aren’t listening authentically
- You can’t make quick and effective decisions in auditions
- Have tried other techniques but still want to know more
- Have tried other techniques but found them confusing
- Want to be able to use character to push the story
- You want to learn about acting from a director
IF YOU DON’T HAVE THESE SKILLS …
- you will ‘act’ rather than listen and respond
- you will make vague intuitive choices rather than logical professional ones
- be unable to effectively take direction
- be seen to be ‘acting’ rather than be real and ‘inter-acting’
- be rigid in your choices rather than relaxed, flexible and professional
Over his twenty-five year directing career Richard found that many actors he auditioned didn’t actually listen. They acted listening to pre-planned choices they had intelligently worked out as a result of their preparation. That pathway plainly didn’t work – it was fake. Even actors who had emerged from the major teaching institutions often couldn’t listen for real.
As a result a major focus of his work with actors both on the set and in the classroom has been to build techniques that develop ‘active listening’ skills. To be able to actively listen in a real and lifelike way is the foundation on which great performances are built. This workshop has a deep and powerful understanding of how our listening actually works and builds techniques that you will use in a variety of different ways throughout your career.
Richard believes this common sense and practical approach to this most basic of acting skills is unique to classes at The Rehearsal Room. It not only trains actors to make practical choices that will drive their listening in an active way but it will also enable them to monitor how their listening skills are working throughout their career.
Listening is the bedrock on which acting skill is built.
THIS COURSE STARTS - Wednesday 10 Oct 2018
Learn skills you will use throughout your career. Learn to be real, to be versatile, to be a great listener and to be skilled in auditions. The Advanced Workshop will make you the director’s best friend.